Saturday, August 23, 2008

Mountains of Hope for Children in Need!


Last Friday I ventured out and went to visit Crossnore School. Founded in 1913 by Dr's E.H. and Mary Martin Sloop, The Crossnore School is a private, non-profit children's home and school in the western North Carolina mountains, serving children who, for circumstances beyond their control, can no longer live at home, whether permanently or temporarily. Most residents live at Crossnore because their primary care givers are abusive or have neglected them to the point that their well being is threatened. Residents come from all counties in North Carolina.

While there I had the pleasure of meeting some of the most amazing people. I went to the Administrative office to let them know I was there on the campus and to see if I could get a tour. As luck would have it the lady that gives tours had just come in and I was able to get a private tour!! That's when I met Kama (I think that's how you spell her name). We hopped in the golf cart and rode all over the campus and she told me some of the best stories of all the buildings. We had a great time! She is a hoot and turns out she lives near me! Unfortunately time was up and our tour was over, I could have chatted with her all day! ~ Thanks for a fun tour!

Being the snoop I am I wasn't satisfied with my private tour and had to snoop around on my own. While I was out poking my head around in different buildings I ran across the Weaving Museum. WOW... I was right at home! This building had been on the campus just about as long as the school had. However, it did catch on fire at one time but was quickly rebuilt- which by the way was rebuilt by most of the kids on campus! There in the Weaving Museum is where I met Heather! Man, she was also so very nice and eager to show me around. She began to show me all the weaving looms and tell me the most interesting stories about all the women who used to weave. As she told me these stories rich in history I felt as if the weaving pioneers were right there with us! Just to touch the wood on the machines that the previous weavers had touched was the coolest thing! By the way, they sell the pieces they weave, and let me tell you they are worth every penny!! To say they are beautiful is not enough, they are truly works of art!

Another person I got to meet was the Director of the Child Care Program. Vergie (I'm sure that's not how you spell her name either... ). She was able to show me all around the child care center and introduce me to the sweetest kids I've ever met. They were so happy and having so much fun learning and playing! What a treat!

The campus is simply beautiful! There are many bronze statues of children playing and discovering life. They are so lifelike! I had to take pictures of all of them. Another beautiful building was The Sloop Chapel. It was built in 1957 in honor of Dr. E.H. Sloop the husband of Dr. Mary Martin Sloop. Inside the chapel is a hidden gem, a Fresco by Ben Long entitled Suffer the Little Children. It is breathtaking!

I wanted to stay all day. I could see how there are Miracles in the Mountains at work everyday! What a great day! Thanks to everyone at Crossnore for all the work you do and especially to my new friends! Be sure to check out their website: http://www.crossnoreschool.org/

No comments: